JUST IN TIME FOR NATIONAL READING MONTH, READING IS FUNDAMENTAL EXPANDS ITS SUITE OF DIGITAL OFFERINGS FOR YOUNG READERS WITH LEVAR BURTON KIDS’ AWARDING-WINNING SKYBRARY
(March 6, 2019 – Washington, D.C.) -- Reading Is Fundamental (RIF), the nation's largest nonprofit organization for children's literacy, today announced that it is the exclusive new home of LeVar Burton Kids' Skybrary, an interactive library of high-quality digital books and video explorations designed to engage young readers and foster a lifelong love of learning. Renowned actor and education advocate LeVar Burton's Skybrary is to become part of RIF's unparalleled digital library of books and supplemental learning and reading resources beginning February 26, 2019. Burton will serve in an advisory role moving forward.
"RIF is committed to providing children with relevant and inspiring tools and resources to help them read and succeed," said Alicia Levi, President and CEO of Reading Is Fundamental. "Skybrary provides an exciting array of opportunities for today's young learners to connect with fun and educational experiences that engage their minds and open their world to new possibilities. We are honored to continue to work with LeVar Burton to provide this exciting offering to millions of children nationwide."
"We developed Skybrary to give kids more opportunities to learn about and connect with the world around them. I believe that it is through knowledge and understanding that our children are smarter, more compassionate world citizens," said Burton. "RIF shares our commitment to help children realize their full potential and they are the ideal partner to bring Skybrary to new audiences."
Based on Reading Rainbow, the Peabody Award-winning television series hosted by LeVar Burton, Skybrary provides millions of children ages 2 – 11 with the opportunity to embark on their own reading adventures – going anywhere and being anything through this interactive and engaging service. Skybrary features the following assets:
• 900+ unique books, approximately 600 of which are animated, with new titles planned;
• 150 video field trips, many of which are hosted by LeVar Burton;
• An easy-to-use Parent Dashboard to help track young readers' progress and find book recommendations;
• Interactive Animations, which further enhance the reading experience by adding an extra dimension of fun for curious young minds; and
• Skybrary School, an online supplemental reading service for grades K-3 featuring a carefully selected library of books, real-world video field trips, standards aligned lessons and easy-to-use teacher management tools.